8 facts about Subterranean Termites in Perth
- Among all insects that feed on wood in Australia, they cause the most damage.
- Their cost in terms of damages caused in a year is close to $2 million dollars.
- They prefer living in moist places.
- They live in colonies that are made up of thousands of single subterranean termites.
- They prefer foods such as wood and paper that have cellulose and usually damage many items as they search for cellulose-containing items.
- The tunnels they create underground can stretch to hundreds of feet in length.
- The tunnels created by the termites are covered with soil and water so as to avoid the drying effects of the sun and air.
- If subterranean Termites are prevented from getting food, moisture and shelter, the colony would be destroyed and thus this is a good method of prevention.
What should you do if you find a colony of subterranean termites?
Most people panic when they encounter a colony of subterranean termites; you shouldn’t. Naturally, termites love to enjoy their food and feed very slowly. In fact, it takes about 5 years for a colony to cause the most destruction. It‘s important to seek the services of a pest control expert for further advice on this issue. Most people are tempted to destroy a colony of termites when they find it. This should be avoided as it can be counterproductive. It’s difficult for a non-expert to completely destroy the colony, the few termites that are not destroyed will recreate the colony and cause even more damage in the process. Complete treatment of termites not only takes a lot of time, but is also a complex process. Do-it-yourself products and other similar products are not able to treat the termites hidden underground. For the best treatment options and results, you should seek the services of a professional exterminator.